Today I am trying to fit in all my fruits and veggie servings! Made a delicious smoothie for breakfast and had time to make a massive batch of delicious vegetable soup!
Dinner tonight was noodle-less lasagne! Layers of grilled zucchini with cottage cheese, ground turkey and veggies in tomato sauce, spinach and of course yummy mozzarella …. Delicious !
For this tasty dish I swapped out pasta noodles with ribbons of zucchini. I grilled the zucchini to get some of the moisture out (and add some great flavour)
For the sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, small dice
- 1 medium garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red pepper
- 1 can Italian tomato sauce
- 1/2 a can of tomato paste
- fresh basil and any other spices/herbs
For the filling:
- 2% cottage cheese mixed with thawed spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the vegetables:
- 1/2 cup celery
- 1/2 cup red peppers
- 3 mushrooms, stems trimmed and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Freshly ground black pepper
- shredded mozzarella cheese (about 4 cups)
- ground turkey
- 2 meduim zucchini, ends trimmed and sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick (I used a mandolin slicer) – grilled (soak up any excess moisture with a paper towl)
- Heat the oven to 375°F
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery, mushrooms, peppers, until softened add in ground turkey … cook until done
- Add the tomato sauce & paste. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until the flavors meld and the sauce has slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
meanwhile you will be grilling the zucchini
- layer of zuccini
- some shredded cheese
- cottage cheese mixed with spinach
- tomato sauce / meat
Repeat until final layer top with mozzarella cheese
Bake uncovered until the sauce is bubbling around the edges and the top is browned, about 40 minutes. Remove the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 30 minutes before slicing.