Easter and Health aren’t necessarily words you would put together… there’s chocolate, candy, more chocolate, large meals, hot cross buns … but all of that doesn’t mean you can’t have a healthy Easter (and enjoy some chocolate! – 70% dark is my favourite!!) All can be enjoyed… in moderation of course.
The challenge this week for us Kin’s GreenFighter’s is to share some tips on how to make this Easter a healthier one.
So here are my tips:
1. a healthy and fun breakfast (bunny pancakes anyone?) I’ve shared my pancake recipe below
2. a fitness inspired easter egg hunt. We have sports themed eggs and fill them ourselves.
You don’t always need to fill these with candy! why not try some of these ideas:
- miniature cars
- silly putty / play dough
- little jewelry
- littlest pet shop animals
- fun shaped erasers
- Home made coupons i.e. “movie night with mum” or “a trip to the park” etc.
- Bath beads
- a loonie or twoonie
- hair accesories
3. go on a different type of hunt…. a GEOCACHE HUNT … never heard of Geocaching? It’s a free outdoor treasure hunt. You try to locate hidden containers using your smartphone or GPS… a fun family activity!
4. do an Easter inspired fitness circuit & break a sweat:
- Plyometrics baby!! (Plyometrics is a series of explosive movementd: jumping, bounding and hopping exercises they fire up your fitness level and will also help with coordination and agility)
- jumping jacks
- grab that skipping rope! it’s a great way to work up a sweat
- jump lunges
- jumping jacks
- My littlest one LOVES joining in on my workouts when I’m at home… create a “little kid friendly easter workout”
- hop like a bunny
- roll like an easter egg (somersault)
- bend down and pretend to pick a flower then hold it over your head
- flap your arms and tweet like a chick
5. eat like a rabbit (wear your bunny ears!). you can usually find some fun easter dress-up ideas at your local dollar store. Put on your bunny ears and see who can eat the most bunny food.
- Snack on carrot sticks, celery etc. and dip them in hummus
- fresh fruit salad
- bunny trail mix (dried fruit, seeds, some pretzles and maybe a few jelly beans)
- make a fun little salad (like my little cottage cheese bunny salad)
I hope you enjoyed these ideas! And don’t forget to share what YOU will do to get in some extra fitness and some healthy foods this Easter! I hope you all have a fabulous Easter.
Oatmeal Cottage Cheese Pancake
(again, I tried to remember to write down what I used…. but sometimes I just “wing it”… sorry!)
I do use pancake mix in these so maybe they aren’t as “clean” as they could be but I figure with all the other good stuff in them (and the kids like them!) that for us it works!
half a banana mashed and some applesauce1 cup cottage cheese
1 cup steel cut porridge oats (Rogers) it has steel cut oats, oat bran, wheat bran, & flaxseed
1 cup pancake mix
2 teaspoon cinnamon (or to taste)
2 teaspoon vanilla (I use vanilla that we brought back from mexico… couldn’t live without it! lol)
milk and water, as needed to the consistency you prefer