- 2-3 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup feta
- 1/8- 1/4 cup chopped sundried tomatoes
- 1 tsp minced lemon zest – I love to use Meyer Lemons
- small amount of garlic powder
- 1 tsp fresh basil
- pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Place chicken breast between plastic wrap and pound to 1/4 inch thick. (Butterfly to help) …. this is a great recipe to get out your frustrations .. and if you don’t have a mallet just find a rolling pin or some other object!
Combine spinach, feta, sundried tomatoes, lemon zest, garlic powder, basil and pepper in a bowl and mix well.
Put approx 2 tblsp of spinach mixture on widest part of chicken breast and then tightly roll the breast, leave seam side down on baking sheet.
Cook for approx 30 minutes.
NO BAKE PUMPKIN BITES
I find these little bites of energy to be so handy on a busy day for a grab-n-go snack. My kids also like to have them on hand for in between hockey games.
- approx 1 cup of chopped dates
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds or flax seeds
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- (you can always use pumpkin pie spice as well)
- 1/4 c honey
- 1/3 c pumpkin puree
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats (dry)
- 1 cup toasted coconut flakes
- 1 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
Combine the dates, honey, pumpkin puree, chia (or flax) seeds, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg. I don’t own a food processor (probably is easier to use one!) however I hand mix everything together.
Once mixed together, stir in the oats, coconut flakes and pumpkin seeds. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or longer (this makes it easier to mold into little bites!).
Once the mixture is cool use an ice cream scoop (or spoon) to shape it into your desired size of energy balls. You can always line a small baking pan with parchment paper, and evenly press the mixture into the pan, let it cool, and then cut into bars.
Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Awesome grab-n-go snack!
I also encourage you to play around with the recipe. I’ve added dried cranberries before, or almonds…. it’s yours to play with!
NO NOODLE LASAGNE
For this tasty dish I swapped out pasta noodles with ribbons of zucchini. I grilled the zucchini to get some of the moisture out (and add some great flavour)
For the sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, small dice
- 1 medium garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red pepper
- 1 can Italian tomato sauce
- 1/2 a can of tomato paste
- fresh basil and any other spices/herbs
For the filling:
- 2% cottage cheese mixed with thawed spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the vegetables:
- 1/2 cup celery
- 1/2 cup red peppers
- 3 mushrooms, stems trimmed and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Freshly ground black pepper
- shredded mozzarella cheese (about 4 cups)
- ground turkey
- 2 meduim zucchini, ends trimmed and sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick (I used a mandolin slicer) – grilled (soak up any excess moisture with a paper towl)
For the sauce:
- Heat the oven to 375°F
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery, mushrooms, peppers, until softened add in ground turkey … cook until done
- Add the tomato sauce & paste. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until the flavors meld and the sauce has slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
meanwhile you will be grilling the zucchini
- layer of zuccini
- some shredded cheese
- cottage cheese mixed with spinach
- tomato sauce / meat
Repeat until final layer top with mozzarella cheese
Bake uncovered until the sauce is bubbling around the edges and the top is browned, about 40 minutes. Remove the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 30 minutes before slicing.